-The Sequential Lunge Stretch!-
Here’s a great movement-based stretching sequence that’s ideal for intermediate to advanced exercisers! There’s a great deal of core stabilization involved in the Sequential Lunge Stretch, and if you’re looking for an all-encompassing stretch, this is the way to go! It stretches the calves, hams, hip flexors, groin, glutes, low back, obliques, and lats in a sequence that “flows” from one stretch to the next.
Hold each position 10-20 seconds. I’m only holding each for ~5 seconds b/c otherwise, the vid would have taken forever! 🙂
- Lunge forward and place your hands on either side of your foot. Sink the hips down.
- Rotate the arm of the same side as the forward leg up to the ceiling and look at it!
- Bring the arm down and across the body, so elbow is towards instep of the forward foot. Sink right hip.
- Place hands on either side of the forward foot and bring rear foot in. Extend front leg until ham stretch is felt.
- Drop back knee down into 1/2 kneeling position and raise arm of that side overhead and across.