-Thursday 10/9/2008 Workout-
Today’s workout lasted 55 minutes and began with roughly 12 minutes of SMR (self-myofascial release) on the foam roller. I was sold on the foam roller from the first day I used one years and years ago! Since then, I have incorporated SMR in almost all of my client’s programs. Having lived with low back issues since I was 12 years old (thanks to gymnastics), I know the value of massage therapy in keeping my body “healthy.” I also have a leg length discrepancy, as my left leg is 1/4-1/2 inch longer than my right. To the layperson, this wouldn’t seem like a big deal, but to someone who has exercised for a long time, it’s obvious that this creates problems! Any imbalances within the kinetic chain can become problematic. Pain and trigger points can be decreased with a $20 foam roller. Self-myofascial release fits into a well-rounded exercise program, and is a must for most people (in my opinion)! SMR is the next best thing to a deep tissue massage. I am a believer!
With this being said, I start 99% of my workouts off with SMR.
Ok, after rolling out, I went through a dynamic warm-up that consisted of two rounds of:
- 1/2 inch superband overhead squats x 10 reps
- miniband lateral walks x 10 reps each direction
- up/down dog flow with “bicycle” calf stretch x 5
Moving on, I went through two rounds of a tri-set composed of:
- single-leg anterior reaches on 1/2 foam roller x 10 reps
- superband-resisted iso plank 30 sec/side plank 15 sec ea combo
- tri-planar hop + stabilization x 3 ea combo
Then, I went through one round of a kettlebell complex with my 8 kilo bell:
- single arm swing x 10 each
- clean and press x 8 each
- snatch x 6 each
Then I dabbled with one round of some “funky stuff”:
- valslide foot drags x 10 reps (counting L/R crawl as 2 reps) forward and 10 reps backward
- staggered-stance db posterior reach 5 lbs x 10 reps each leg forward
- staggered-stance contra-lateral 1-arm db pnf 5 lbs x 10 reps each side
I finished with more foot drag stuff and fast mountain climbers.